Favourite Winter Warming Soup!
Our favourite winter warmer soup.
In our house we take our food pretty seriously, Aidan being Italian he think’s this means he was born with a passion for the finer things in life, especially food. And well as for me…i just like eating.
Personally, i am a HUGE fan of soups, whenever i’m feeling a little sick, or feel like I’ve been indulging a little too much i try and stock up on nutritious soups, however, Aidan often turns his nose up at soup because, well lets be honest, it’s not quite the same as a honey baked ham leg. Here is something we found we both enjoy, is filling, is warming, and SUPER healthy! Feel free to add, exclude whatever you like to make it your own. This is a recipe loosely adapted from a dish i once cooked from “Marley Spoon” which is something i HIGHLY recommend getting into, if your a little nervous in the kitchen but want to try some different foods, and techniques, i will go through some months of living off Marley Spoon (especially when Aidan is away on a camp) as its super easy (30-40min cook and prep time) and generally healthy, which really tasty options.
Anyway here’s our favourite version of the good old chicken soup! (NO butchers were abused in the making of this dinner)
- Chopping board
- sharp knife
- large pot
- microwave bag/bowl for zoodles
750ml (3 cups) water
1 bunch Coriander, separate stems and leaves, thinly slice stems
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 Stock cube (optional)
2 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, leaves finely shredded lengthways
1 red onion, Aidan hates red onion so i keep this fresh and add to only my soup, fresh for an extra crunch and zing
2 large single chicken breast fillets, visible fat trimmed. (Aidan will have TWO of these for himself and i generally have ONE)
1 bunch choy sum/bok choy, washed
1 Packet of baby corn, sliced lengthways
4 large zucchini’s, spiralled into zoodles (lazy girl option, buy pre-zoodled!)
1 handful of shitake mushrooms
2 large fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
1 tablespoon fish sauce/soy/teriyaki (personal preference or whatever is in the cupboard!)
1. Combine water, coriander stems, ginger, garlic, stock cube and half the lime leaves in a large pot, and bring to a simmer.
2. Add chicken fillets, cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
3. Place chicken on a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
4. While chicken is resting, cut choy sum stems into lengths and coarsely shred the leaves, thinly slice shitake mushrooms.
5. Add the choy sum, shitake mushrooms, and baby corn to the frying pan of stock and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
6. Add the remaining lime leaves, choy sum leaves, chillies and fish/soy or teriyaki, and simmer, covered, for 1 minute or until choy sum leaves wilt.
7. Meanwhile, add zoodles into a microwave safe bag, or just in a microwave safe bowl and quickly zap in microwave until just softened. Season zoodles, and divide evenly among the bowls.
8. Cut the chicken across the grain into thin slices and place on top of the noodles
9. Ladle the vegetables and broth over the chicken and garnish with coriander leaves, and if adding red onion, add now.
10. Best served piping hot with your favourite reality TV show on the tell. ENJOY!