Steggles Roast Chicken
· Large (roughly) 2kg Steggles Chicken (leave to be room temperature before cooking)
· 1x handful bacon finely sliced
· 2x onion (one for stuffing one for roasting)
· 2x cloves garlic
· 2x lemon
· good quality olive oil
· good quality butter
· 1x bunch of Dutch carrots
· 4x small potatoes, quartered, skin on.
· 12 Brussel sprouts
· ANY herbs you like: Thyme, parsley, sage etc
1. Remove the Steggles chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it to let it come to room temp.
2. Pre-heat oven to 240c
3. Fry off the stuffing by adding one onion thinly sliced, two garlic cloves crushed or thinly diced along with the bacon, herbs, salt, pepper and olive oil into a pan and fry off.
4. Add the zest of 1/2 a lemon, and then quarter the lemon and add to the pan. Put aside to cool.
5. Whilst waiting for this to cool, roughly quarter the potatoes, cut the greenery off the carrots, quarter the onion, and place remaining garlic into roasting tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove the chicken and lightly dry off with paper towel. Use your hand to separate the skin from the flesh, and where you can fill this cavity with butter and salt and pepper. Use the fried off mixture in the pan to stuff the chicken, ensuring you then tie the legs back up.
7. Place the chicken onto of the vegetables and roast on the middle shelf for 1.5hrs, basting with the buttery juices after about 40 minutes. Check on your chicken and if the skin is a beautiful and browned, and the juices are running clear remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
8. let ay juices drain into the bottom of the tray and these will make the gravy.
9. Remove chicken, and veggies and set aside.
10. GRAVY BABY: place saucepan on stove, add the juices, and add flour until thickens up (feel free to add any stock to this mixture if there aren’t enough liquids in the pan) simmer until thickened up. I prefer not to strain gravy, but totally unto you if you prefer to strain. Place in serving jug.
11. I LOVE Brussel sprouts and always cheat, I place in a freezer bag with 30ml of water, salt and pepper and put in the microwave for 3 minutes or until just softened, drain and serve as is.
Steggles chicken link: