Poached chicken, steamed greens & crispy speck.
Sunday night, semi cbf to cook, also feel like I kind of need some form of nutrition after a weekend well spent drinking and eating so here is something super quick and easy I throw together using whatever I happen to have leftover in the fridge from the previous week.
- VEGETABLES: I happened to have a zucchini, broccoli, a few brussle sprouts and some bok choy, but just about any green vegetable will suffice.
- Herbs & Flavourings: I only had fresh Ginger and Garlic but could also use onion. Or whatever tickles your pickle.
- Something to give a little crunch and excitement: I used leftover SPECK I had in the fridge from previously making Brussels sprouts with speck for a mid-week roast. But could use bacon, peanuts, anything you like.
- Stock: cubes, water, powder...run wild.
- Sauce: I used white wine vinegar with shallots for my greens and keycap manis (aka sweet soy sauce) as a glaze on the chicken.
1. In a saucepan heat up your herbs and flavourings, add 2-3 cups of water and bring to a simmer.
2. Pop in your chicken breast and simmer on a low heat for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through, remove chicken and set aside wrapped in foil to keep warm and moist.
3. Add your greens into the broth and cook until JUST softened.
4. Remove greens from liquid and put into bowl, adding 1-2 tablespoons of broth into bottom of the bowl, drizzle with vinegar and shallots.
5. Remove chicken from foil, slice and place onto greens in an instagram worthy way.
6. Heat a small fry pan to a high temp, thinly slice speck and fry until crispy and golden.
7. Drizzle chicken with kecap manis.
8. Garnish with crispy speck.
(season with salt and pepper)
Eat your heart out.